35th International Festival of Fashion, Photography and Fashion Accessories, Hyères
23–27 April 2020
Sign up before December 15, 2019.
If selected, submit your dossier by December 30, 2019.
Every Spring in the South of France, the Festival spotlights young promising artists in the fields of fashion, accessories and photography. The festival proposes diverse exhibitions, professional panel discussions and three competitions. The competitions showcase 10 fashion designers, 10 accessories designers and 10 photographers selected by a jury of professionals in each field. The work of the chosen candidates is presented to the jury and the public in either fashion shows (designers) or group exhibitions (accessories designers, photographers). On the last days of the month of April, as every Spring since 1998, the villa Noailles will once again become the epicenter for emerging photography.
There, in the photography section of the Festival de Hyères, ten artist-photographers will exhibit their personal conjugation of the verb to see. Hyères defends and praises photographic works that strive for sense, singularity, innovation and uncompromising artistic standards. The bodies of work spotlighted at Hyères are still being born. Yet, the articulateness of their aesthetic stances confidently allows us to bet on their projection into the future. Attentively sorted and short-listed, an imposing lot of nearly 800 worldwide submissions is put under the scrutiny and appraisal of an international jury of professionals that gathers, late January, in Paris. The jury’s choice of the ten photographers to showcase sets in motion an exacting curatorial and production process that will culminate shortly in the unveiling to the public, on the walls of the villa Noailles, of an exciting group exhibition: ten new artistic visions that will help shape the photography of tomorrow.
During the three days of the festival, the selected photographers meet to discuss their exhibited work and ongoing portfolios with the members of the jury. Art dealers, museum curators, art critics, art directors for magazines or advertising agencies, among past Festival jurors we can randomly mention Jean-Paul Goude (Paris), Thomas Bonnoouvrier (Art+Commerce, Paris), Jörg Koch (032C, Berlin), Frits Gierstberg (Nederlands Fotomuseum, Rotterdam), Kathy Ryan (New York Times, New York), David Campany (Londres), Joerg Colberg (Conscientious), Charles Fréger (France), Erik Kessels (KesselsKramer, Amsterdam), Brett Rogers (The Photographer’s Gallery, London), Winfried Heininger (Kodoji Press, Switzerland), Jason Evans (photographer), Mutsuko Ota (IMA, Tokyo), Craig McDean (New York), Tim Walker (London), Simon Costin (London), etc. etc. Agents, art dealers and art directors, all eager to meet new talent, also attend the Festival.
The Hyères meetings between artists and jurors render possible an in-depth discussion — elsewhere highly improbable — about the photographer’s work and its potentialities. An intellectually intense exchange between photographers and key figures of the artistic and commercial spheres, these one to one meetings have often proved fruitful opening for the photographers the doors to different media, from the pages of a magazine to the walls of a museum or an advertising campaign.
- The competition is open to any photographer or artist using the photographic medium on a regular basis. No age nor nationality restrictions apply.
- The competition does not distinguish according to genre; portraits, landscapes, still lifes, fashion, etc. are all admissible.
- Given the festival’s dual identity — fashion and photography — it is hoped that candidate photographers will be interested in collaborations and commissions.
- Personal works such as those ensuing from commissions (for institutions or editorial work) are accepted.
- If you are selected as one of the ten candidates presented during the 2020 edition of the festival, in addition to participating to the group show and portfolio reviews, you will be asked to:
- Present a one-of-a-kind print based on a selection of American Vintage pieces
- Undertake a series of 4 still life, with accessories provided on request by the villa Noailles, according to your theme and inclinations.
- Only photographers/artists who have not had an important exhibition in a gallery, or cultural institution of international importance, may take part.
- Please note that collective submissions - made by two or more artists - are accepted providing the authors work on a regular basis together and have built a body of work together.
The competition consists of 2 rounds of evaluation.
Entries must be submitted at the latest on December 15, 2019 (see details below). Following this first round, the festival committee will select approx. 60 portfolios.
On December 20, 2019, at the latest all entrants will be informed whether they have been selected for the second round, or not.
Selected participants for the second round must send prints of the 20 images previously submitted in step 1, at the latest on December 30, 2019 (see details below).
The 2020 jury will meet during the month of January to select the 10 shortlisted photographers who will take part in the festival. All participants of the second round will be informed of the results by mid-February 2020 at the latest.
In order to participate, please adhere to the following steps.
Submit the form at the latest on December 15, 2019
If you are selected for the second round, send your prints at the latest on December 30, 2019
- If, on December 20, 2019 you have received an email informing you that your portfolio has been chosen; you must complete the following procedure:
- Send the corresponding prints for the 20 images previously uploaded on the website.
- Prints may be inkjet, traditional photographic prints, or lambda /light jet (any other format will be refused), they must not exceed the following dimensions: 30 x 40 cm (12 x 16 inches).
- Each print must be labelled on the reverse with your surname and first name, and the title of the series if applicable.
- Provide a printed copy of your completed entry form in the same envelope, as saved for the first round.
- Send on one or two A4 sheets a contact sheet of the pictures submitted with underneath each image the complete caption, Name, surname, title, series title, year.
- Also provide in the envelope, for the return of your portfolio:
- If you live in France:
A self-addressed envelope or packaging with the correct postage.
- If you do not live in France, you can either:
provide the necessary self-addressed packaging for the return of your portfolio along with the sum of 20 euros as payment for postage of your portfolio (which must not exceed 2 kgs weight, or further costs will be incurred), payment to be made by:
Cheque in euros made out to Association villa Noailles
or Bank transfer to the account of
Association Villa Noailles
International Bank Account Number (IBAN)
FR76 4255 9000 3621 0284 7390 707
Bank Identification Code (BIC)
CCOPFRPPXXX, precising the reference “PHOTO 2020”.
or cash (banknote of 20 euros only)
OR you may also attach a return on demand slip for a courier
(UPS/DHL/FEDEX or any other courier capable of returning your portfolio to the country of origin) along with any relevant account details.
The sender will be held responsible for any customs duty, taxes or fees which may arise due to the choice of courier. No such fees will be accepted on the behalf of the association, which reserves the right to refuse any portfolio.
Prints are provided for the sole usage of the competition and as such have no commercial value, it is recommended therefore to declare them as “documents, no commercial value” in order to avoid any fees or delays with customs.
OR if you would prefer your portfolio not to be returned, please attach a note specifying it.
Send all of the above postmarked no later than December 30, 2019 to :
villa Noailles / Photographie
Montée noailles – BP 70176
83405 Hyères cedex - France
The festival will not be held responsible for any damage or loss which may occur during delivery or return.
The 2020 jury - a committee consisting of well-known individuals from the spheres of art/ photography, publishing and fashion-will sit during the month of January 2020 in order to select the ten photographers/artists who will exhibit in the festival.
All entrants participating in the second round of the competition will be informed of the results by mid-February 2020 at the latest (no information will be made available by telephone).
If you have been selected :
- You will then be contacted by the artistic director in order to discuss the presentation of your work
- You will have to provide the festival with your digital files in order to produce the exhibit prints (at the festival’s expense)
- You will be asked to shoot a series of four still life featuring a fashion accessory in between the announcement of your selection and the festival (further instructions will be given after the notification of your selection mid-February 2020). This commission could be awarded by a special prize which could be granted by one of the Festival’s partner.
- You will agree to be present in Hyères from Wednesday April 22 until Monday April 27, 2020 inclusive (the festival will cover expenses for bed and board).
- All selected participants must commit themselves to adhere to and respect the festival programme (which may be altered at the organisers’ discretion).
- The jury’s decisions for the selection of participants and during the festival are final and without appeal.
Grand Prix of the Photography Jury
At the end of the festival, the photography jury will reward one of the ten selected photographers Grand Prix of the Photography Jury. CHANEL will support Grand Prix of the Photography Jury, where the prize-winner will receive a donation of 20,000 euro.
AMERICAN VINTAGE PHOTOGRAPHY PRIZE
The grant, whose value equals 15,000 euros (including 5,000 euros for he selected photographer), consists in a fashion photoshoot order. It will be awarded to one of the 10 finalists.
Still Life Award
At the end of the festival, the photography jury will reward the Still Life Award to one of the ten selected photographers who will receive a creativity grant 5,000 euros
The Festival is organised by the Association villa Noailles and has been financed through the support of the City of Hyères, since its creation in 1986, and since 2003 by the Métropole Toulon Provence Méditerranée, with the support of Direction Régionale des Affaires Culturelles (ministère de la Culture), of Conseil Régional Sud Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur, of Conseil Départemental du Var.
Fédération de la Haute Couture et de la Mode
Les Galeries Lafayette
Eyes on Talents
Fondation d’entreprise Ricard
Hans Boodt Mannequins
Métropole Toulon Provence Méditerranée
Villa Noailles BP 70176
83405 HYERES Cedex
T. +33 (0)4 98 08 01 98
F. +33 (0)4 98 08 01 90
Founder and General Director
Photography Artistic director